Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Gas Mileage

  1. #1
    Inactive Member reewinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 11th, 2006
    Posts
    209
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have noticed my gas mileage going down lately and have a theory as to why....but want to ask if this would make mileage lower.


    Some time ago I decided to check my distributor cap for wear and it looked allright. But when I went to tighten it back down I overtightened it and cracked in one corner. I had forgotten about this until I noticed I was getting lower and lower M.P.G. per fillup. Not sure if that would effect mileage or just make it run bad.....anyways....it's going to be replaced but I have a question on that too.
    I have seen kits on the internet that have distributor caps with external coils. Would it be worth switching over to one of these or is it just one of those performance gimmicks?


    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-97...73085009QQrdZ1

    I'm going to change the fuel filter and make sure all my tires are properly inflated. Any other things to look for when gas mileage goes bad???
    Thanks for any info. [img]graemlins/wonder.gif[/img]

  2. #2
    Inactive Member DaleSol110's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 19th, 2005
    Posts
    77
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I've sort of had that same problem. I found i have a oil leak from my distributer. Thanks for reminding me and I am also curious on an answer to your questions.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member DaleSol110's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 19th, 2005
    Posts
    77
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Angry

    I've sort of had that same problem. I found i have a oil leak from my distributer. Thanks for reminding me and I am also curious on an answer to your questions. Sorry i'm no help!

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Geo VP's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 21st, 2001
    Posts
    1,092
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by durbydude:
    I've sort of had that same problem. I found i have a oil leak from my distributer. Thanks for reminding me and I am also curious on an answer to your questions.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">If your getting oil inside the distributor, it maybe the o-ring that is the problem, an easy fix. Just remove the distributor and replace it.

    As to Larry's problem the cracked cap can cause problems, rough running, missing etc. plus water can get at the electronic parts (ICM), coil and short them out.

    Geo
    President
    Team Sol of Washington

    banner38qx

  5. #5
    Inactive Member OfTheSun's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 10th, 2005
    Posts
    96
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    A bad O2 sensor does pretty good job of killing your mileage.

    The cold weather will decrease your mileage slightly as well.

    If your T-stat is stuck open that can contribute as well, but you didn't mention anything about your temp, so...

    Burning oil which will collect in the cat and restrict your exhaust will hinder you as well.

    Just some random ideas.

    Your dizzy cap is a problem, but don't rule out other possibilities.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ January 04, 2007 11:28 AM: Message edited by: Mitchness ]</font>

  6. #6
    Inactive Member reewinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 11th, 2006
    Posts
    209
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Got the computer all hooked back up again.
    I changed the distributer cap and still had the same mileage. I forgot to check my air pressure in the tires and just checked them on my way home tonight. To my surprise all of my tires were really low. Just from looking at them they looked fine this whole time....
    On the tires they say max 44 psi and all my tires were around 29/30 psi. I got them all at 44 now and topped off the gas tank. Hopefully I will go back to around 300 miles per tank. I was getting 270 for awhile and when it dropped to around 250 per tank I knew something had to be going wrong.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •